Comprehensive Care Worksheet
Build Your Team
Making Comprehensive Care Work for You
Use this worksheet (print version) to understand how rehabilitation and other specialists can help you. Share the results with your medical provider to discuss if a referral is right for you.
Physical Therapy: Specializes in physical movement such as joint range of motion, muscle flexibility, balance and ambulation. Provide guidance toward home exercise programs for health and prevention at all stages of disease. Reduce fall risk and help with caregiver needs. If you have concerns about the following, a physical therapy evaluation could be helpful:
- do you need an exercise program specifically for Parkinson’s disease?
- do you get out of breath easily when walking or feel tired most of the day?
- do you have trouble getting out of a chair, getting out of your car or getting out of bed?
- do you have trouble with walking, falling or fear of falling?
- do you have problems with falling, balance, walking or freezing while trying to walk ?
- is your posture changing?
- do you need a walking aid such as a cane or walker?
- do you have exercise limitations?
- does your care partner need information and training how to best help you move?
- do you have joint, back or muscle pain or spasms?
- do you need help selecting the right wheelchair for improved independence?
Speech Therapy Orders: A comprehensive speech and voice evaluation is completed by a certified speech language pathologist. It can help speech and voice symptoms, swallowing difficulties, conversation and communication problems. If you check off any of the following boxes, speech therapy evaluation could be helpful:
- do you have problems swallowing food, liquid or pills?
- do you need to know which foods to avoid if you have a swallowing problem?
- have you lost more than ten pounds without trying over the past six months?
- do you have problems with your speech or difficulty communicating?
- do you have word finding problems?
- do you have excessive drooling?
Occupational Therapy: Specializes in the areas of self-care, medication management, home maintenance, community involvement including driving, alternative options for transportation, and resources for staying active with emphasis on safety. Along with these are programs for arm and shoulder strength, flexibility, fine motor, handwriting, and relaxation techniques (yoga and meditation). If you have concerns about the following, an occupational therapy evaluation could be helpful:
- do you have problems using your arms, hands or shoulders?
- do you have problems completing tasks or organizing your day?
- do you need help assessing your home for safety needs?
- do you need some more information how to best organize your medications?
- do you need help with limitations while dressing or bathing?
- do you have trouble with your vision?
- do you have concerns about safety while in your home?
- do you have problems with freezing while trying to walk?
- do you need help reviving your hobbies or other social interests?
- do you need an assessment for changes at your workplace to accommodate your Parkinson’s?
- do you have trouble getting out of bed?
- do you need help with stress management?
- do you need help with preparing a meal due to your Parkinson’s?
- do you have trouble sleeping?
- are you or a family member concerned about your driving?
Psychology Evaluation: Specializes in thinking problems and dementia. If you experience any of the following, a psychology or Neuropsychology evaluation could be helpful:
- do you have memory problems?
- do you have problems multitasking or decision making?
- do you experience confusion?
- do you have more down days than good days?
- do you have anxiety that interferes with your day to day activities?
- do you have thoughts or concerns that keep you awake at night?
- does your caregiver seem to be on edge lately?
- are you worried about your care partner’s stress levels?
Social Work Evaluation: Specializes in the evaluation of emotional support, community resources and adjustment to illness with an emphasis on improving quality of life. If you have concerns about any of the following a social work evaluation could be helpful:
- do you need help locating specific resources in your community or finding out what is available?
- do you have questions regarding in home care or housing?
- are you a caregiver in need of respite care?
- are you interested in attending a support group for Caregivers or Patients?
- do you have interest/hobbies you would like to pursue but don't know where start?
- do you need help identifying ways of coping with the adjustment of living with Parkinson's disease?
- are you having trouble effectively communicating with your spouse, family and/or friends?
- are you feeling overwhelmed about what to do first or need help prioritizing your needs?
- do you feel like you need a stronger support network?
Author: Monique Giroux, MD
Copyright 2011 Northwest Parkinson's Foundation Wellness Center